Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Name Game

Dean got engaged last week to Leah Frakes. We're very excited to have her in our family but I just have to laugh at the irony of it all. When we were expecting Rachel and trying to think of names, we threw out Lauralee on the premise that Lauralee Lorimer was just too many "L" sounds for her to live with. So what does she do? She marries Shane Rager and becomes RAchel RAger for eternity! Next, Michelle marries Mike Gibbs. Michelle & Michael are the SAME NAME except one is for a girl and the other a boy. It turns out Mike has a sister-in-law also named Michelle Gibbs. Then, they named their son Carson Michael, their daughter Natalie Michelle and I found out later that Shane's middle name is Michael. So the family is full of Michael/Michelles. Now, we get to Dean who we named after his Dad even though we knew it would be confusing at times. We didn't call him Paul because I have a brother named that. All the nicknames didn't really appeal to me either but somehow "Little Dean" stuck the best. Of course, he is now much taller than "Big Dean". I realized that when Dean marries Leah, she will be Leah Lorimer; not quite as many "L's" as Lauralee unless her middle name is Laura. So I guess it was destined to be--the "L" people, the "R" people, the Dean's and Michelle/Michael's, and I'm the lonesome Beverly. Maybe I can join the the "L" clan by leaving out the Bever. Just call me Ly Lorimer!
PS I'm just musing. Please don't take this as an insult to your name.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Nice post Ly! I think I will like calling you Ly... it is a nice name. It's catchy! And it must feel great to have all kids grown and married off soon. That is a great accomplishment. Abby has already told me that she never wants to leave home and cries whenever we talk about her growing up and moving out. Yes, I'm serious about that! I can't wait to meet Leah!

Pid and Connie said...

Ok Bev.... now I must ask...is it Ly like "lie" or Ly like "Lee" cuz if it is "Lee" it makes me think of Deans father so......I guess that keeps it in line with the whole intermingling of family names...oh dear....I will NOT be musing over our name choices anytime soon! It has been an interesting trip though.Thanks!

Michelle said...

Funny! Maybe we'll name our baby Buzz or Bobette or something, to make you feel better!

Rachel Harlin said...

I find it very comical!! IT will be fun to see what they name THEIR kids!

Stephanie Lanoy said...

i just want to marry someone with a super short last name. my parents have cursed me with STEPHANIE ELZIABETH WHITLOCK which has never fit on any formal document except my social security card... even my diploma only could hold stephanie whitlock.

I love my middle name. And i never get to use it ! :)